Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Swimming? Hmmmm....

Remember a couple of days ago when I mentioned that I’m kicking around the idea of swimming in lieu of running while I get this foot thing all sorted out?

Well it sounded like a good idea to my pal Heather who is currently nursing a hip injury caused by an irritable IT band. I tell ya, I’m one lucky girl. Who else could make the rare to find of a running buddy that suffers an injury as grievous as mine? Seriously the cosmos must be aligned just right! Any whoo Sunday afternoon as I blew up her phone with text updates about Bill’s NYC Marathon progress she asked if I wanted to start going to lap swim with her. Our community pool offers adult lap swim in the evening. It’s pretty cheap and the pool is heated so I said sure.

But here's the problem:  Most of my life swimming has been merely to cool down or a way to get to my pool float so I can soak up the summer sun with a cool drink in my hand. On occasion the ocean calls and I will Boogie Board until I am near exhaustion. But lap swimming, not so much.

Yesterday H gave me a call. She is all signed up and ready to swim. She sounded pretty excited and in turn I got excited that I’d be doing some sort of cardio while recuperating. Last night Heather even posted about the new adventure and found a swim workout. Now I am the queen of run training schedules but it never occurred to me to make a swim schedule. How did I miss that deet?! Also, I need to find a suit built for swimming not for sunning. I own a dozen bathing suits and I don’t think a one of them will do the job. The Hubs says wear board shorts and a rash guard like you would if you were Boogie Boarding. Yeah that might work. I’m feeling behind the curve and we haven’t even hit the water yet. Yikes!

Today I’ve got butterflies like none other. I am not graceful and am pretty sure that swimming in a straight line is going to be tough. What if I have to share the lane with another swimmer? That has the potential to be no bueno!

Stay tuned; I’m sure there will be a good story coming out of this!

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, please, please leave your thoughts here. I'd really ♥ to hear from you!