Saturday, October 16, 2010

53, 52, 51

Took rest days on Thursday and Friday.  Just too much going on this week between work and the kids.

Today I had a really nice 11 mile run with friends.   I took it easy again today and averaged 11:30/mi.  We hit the lake at 6:30 AM and were privileged enough to witness a gorgeous sunrise.


The temperature was a very comfortable 60 at the start of the run and had only warmed to 65 by the end.  I was a little sad that I didn't have it in me to complete 22 miles with Bill today but I know it was best for my foot.  While I was in no extra pain this morning I was still in pain. 

Around mile 9 Bill told me he had something to show me at the end of my run.  He said it was a memorial but would not elaborate past that.  As we neared the memorial he pointed the way and instructed to me to "go sit on the bench".  I approached the bench I instantly recognized the significance of the bronze sculpture. 


I sat heavily on the bench and sobbed in the still autumn air.  The memorial is to honor the memory of 3 fallen Sheriff's Deputies whom my husband worked with.  Two of the deputies were killed and the third was critically injured when their helicopter crashed on the north shore of Lake Natoma in July 2005.  Though the accident happened 5 years ago I remember it like it was yesterday.  After several minutes I pulled myself together and started the short walk back to my car.  Bill and Dave were waiting along the path.  They knew I needed the privacy to sit with my thoughts and memories. It was an emotional end to my morning run but it reminded me that I need to count my blessings each day. 

Up tomorrow? REST day!

2 comments:

  1. Kelly.... it's funny how memorials can really affect you in one way or another, and even more so when you have a special connection. Even though it is 5 years ago, I am sorry to hear about the tragedy.

    I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving two awesome comments.

    I don't know if you know but I do follow your other blog, in fact it is in my blog roll...

    Anywhooo, good going on the run. I broke my leg two years ago in three places, and well let's just say that a five inch plate and several dozen screws later and that leg is not good to go for much.. I use to walk 8 km a day, now I am lucky if I can get around the block without pain setting in! Kind of envying you right now!

    Hope you have a great Sunday tomorrow

    Oh by the way, every monday I am doing this thing where I am featuring new blogs that are having some difficulty attracting attention to their great sites. If you want me to feature either or both of your blogs, just come back and tell me and I would be happy to do it... because I have only been blogging for 6 months but the first 3 months were terrible for me in attracting attention, so I kind of want to do this Pay it Forward thing to help others... There's no catch or anything, just if you want it done, although I will let you know that there is about 24 blogs I am featuring, 3 each Monday, so it would be a couple of weeks before yours would comes up, if you want!
    Cheers
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great photo of the memorial...My brother was killed in 2004 on a domestic dispute call... He would go to every funeral of a fallen deputy.. I know he would of made that trip from Riverside to where u are to honor them...It never gets easier, does it?

    ReplyDelete

Please, please, please leave your thoughts here. I'd really ♥ to hear from you!