Monday, September 12, 2011

Marathon Countdown

Marathon week has arrived without so much as a single post by me about the long and sometimes arduous miles.  Geez I feel like such a slacker!  I started working full-time in for the first time in 18 years in mid-August and it’s been an adjustment for me.  Some days it takes all I have just to get through the day so blogging has been pushed to the back burner.  However, I did update my Dailymile profile after each run so if you want to see what I’ve been up to you can check it out here  http://www.dailymile.com/people/KellyV3#ref=tophd

My right (gimpy) foot has held up amazingly well!  But I made the mistake of wearing a single pair running shoes all summer.  What a rookie move!  I put nearly 500 miles on those bad boys and that has resulted in some ankle pain in my left foot.  Nothing that some Motrin, ice and stretching can’t fix but annoying none the less.

Saturday was my final “long” run before the big day.  My marathon partner, H, spent the weekend in the majestic Lake Tahoe area and a few other runners in our group wanted to run hills so DG and I decided to take an easy 11 mile lap around Lake Natoma.  It was a b-e-a-u-tiful morning.  The temperature was perfect and the sunrise absolutely gorgeous.
DG and I ran a leisurely first 5 miles until we got to “the clean bathrooms”.  We stopped to use the facilities, refuel, and stretch.  After about 8 or 9 minutes we decided it was time to get down to business.  We set off towards a set of switch backs that I affectionately call “Big Bertha”.  Mind you this is a small section of the trail leads up to the Auburn-Folsom Bridge but I was dreading the hill all the same. She routinely beats me down and forces my tired legs to walk up her steep incline.  But not this time, I ran every single step!  Of course I was toast by the time I reached the top and had to walk a portion of the bridge.   But hey a victory is victory!

We crossed the bridge and considered leaving a message for BC out of twigs and leaves on his car parked in the lot at Karen’s Bakery.  We giggled like second graders at the thought but decided that we should get serious and run so we did not make the detour.   We dropped back down to the bike trail to do some work and push ourselves harder.  We ran at a 9:30-10:00 min/mile pace even on the rolling hill sections.  We slowed and sometimes even walked after a particularly tough stretch.  We stopped briefly at the sight of a bicycle crash that H and I directed traffic around just a couple of weeks ago.  The stain on the path is a grim reminder of how quickly a nice day on the trail can turn into tragedy. 
Just as the temperature started to rise we finished up our 11.25 miles.  It was a great run and I felt like I could continue on if I had needed or wanted to.  That feeling has eluded me for much of the last month and I was beginning to doubt my love of running.  But I it turns out that I do still love it and I’m excited to run my 4th marathon this coming Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, please, please leave your thoughts here. I'd really ♥ to hear from you!